A few of us Gazetteers are avid Harry Potter fans. I am lucky enough to live a few hours drive from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I tend to frequent there quite often. My main reason for going is to drink me some Butterbeer! I recently attended Harry Potter- A Celebration – which was their event surrounding the upcoming theme park area Diagon Alley. Check out this episode of Nerdy Show to hear me and my fiancee, Jon West, talk about our experience there!
ANYWAY! Before I had to pleasure of experiencing The Wizarding World, and tasting their JK approved Butterbeer I concocted a recipe of my own. I posted the recipe up on my personal blog, and had some decent success with it. You could make it hot or cold, or into a milk shake. Since the Butterbeer at The Wizarding World is cold and frozen I had wondered how they would make it warm. WELL GUESS WHAT THEY HAD AT THE HARRY POTTER CELEBRATION WEEKEND!!!!!!!!
And it was AMAZING!!!!!! My very difficult to please partner, Jon, LOVED it. And so did I! So when we returned from our magical adventure I decided I would try and recreate that Butterbeer from memory. I did get close, so here is the recipe for just WARM Butterbeer! It deviated slightly from my previous recipe, but it is still as good!
Ckrickett’s (Kristin’s) WARM Butterbeer recipe!
- Candy Thermometer
- Measuring equipment (measuring spoons, ext)
- Medium sized sauce pot
- Wooden spoon
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (you could use light but dark tastes best)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 5 Tbsp UNSALTED butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Caramel topping
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp rum extract
- OPTIONAL 1/2 cup Butterscotch schnapps since Butterbeer is supposed to be slightly alcoholic. 21 and up please!
Butterbeer Foam (the delicious head):
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff (or 8 jumbo marshmallows)
- 2 Tbsp butterbeer syrup mixture. (above recipe minus the cream soda)
- 1/4 Cup Caramel Topping
Making the Butterbeer!:
- In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.( it is important to stir otherwise you can burn your sugar!!)
- Stir in the butter, caramel, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. (if you are doing your Mise en Place before you start cooking you can add all these ingredients together in the same bowl except for the vinegar, try to keep that separate until you are ready to combine all these ingredients to the sugar syrup)
- Stir until butter is melted and all the ingredients are incorporated
- remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature
- mix in the rum extract (and the butterscotch schnapps if you are including that as well)
- In a blender, combine 2 tablespoons of the Butterbeer syrup mixture, the marshmallow fluff , Caramel topping, 1/2 cup of heavy cream. If using fluff blend until all is incorporated. If you are using Marshmallows-Blend until is is all incorporated and mixture has a fluffy texture.
- TO SERVE!- To serve, divide the Butterbeer syrup mix between 4 mugs (about 1/4 cup for each glass). poor over top hot milk leave 1/4 inch space for topping.
- Add desired amount of fluffy topping
I hope you all like this! let us know if you try it, or share your own favorite Butterbeer recipes or experiences!